Stumbling stones in Prato
Prato was one of the first among the Italian municipalities to become involved in the Stumbling stones project, placing 40 Stolpersteine (stumbling stones) to mark the places where the deportees were arrested.
Most deportees from Prato were arrested after the strike in March 1944, taken to the Castello dell’Imperatore (Emperor’s Castle), which at that time was the headquarters of the Guardia Nazionale Repubblicana (Republican National Guard), and transferred the next day by bus to Florence. From there they would be deported to Nazi concentration camps with a train which departed from the Central Station (Santa Maria Novella) on 8 March and arrived at Mauthausen on 11 March 1944.
The first 12 Stolpersteine were put in place in Prato in 2013, 28 more were added the following year.